Yes it is finally here!
Come and meet us at the open evening
It may appear that all has been quiet, but in reality there has been tons going on behind the scenes. All of our wonderful volunteers have been learning some new skills that will be of benefit to everyone. Many have already given up their evenings to learn some basic skills – and for that we thank you all greatly.
To put this into perspective we have over 70 volunteers now (we always need more) and each person has attended a training session. That is around 420 hours of community training in basic life support, drug and alcohol awareness, homelessness awareness and basic fire prevention. You can see we have been busy!
But that is not all, we have also:
- Raised enough funds, donations and equipment to get us launched
- Been granted planning permission to run over the winter period
- Installed extra power points within the church
- Secured external toilet and shower facilitates for use by our guests
- Installed CCTV
- Developed an agreement with Emmaus who will cook our food which is donated by Ocado
- Finalised risk assessments and procedures – all of which will be available to read at the venue. The Volunteer Handbook will updated online soon
The steering group is meeting next week to draw up the first guest list – just in time for the when the really cold weather arrives.
There is also one more thing to do. Thank you guys – our volunteers! We would love you to come along to an open evening on the 21st November at the Church of St Luke between 18:30 and 21:00. This will be a great chance to meet the other volunteers, to see how the shelter will be set up, to ask any questions (and have them answered) and for us to say thank you. Refreshments will be provided.
If you are interested in volunteering or to find out more about the shelter please come along. We look forward to seeing you there.